Mayor answered some frequently asked questions


Lorna Marquardt, Leader Columnist

“A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.” — Francis Bacon

Today I will answer some of the questions often asked by residents.

Q When is City Hall open?

A 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except on specific holidays.

Q Where is City Hall located?

A City Hall is located at 127 S. Sawyer St., Shawano. The building houses not only City Hall, but also the City Police Department, the Community Room (available to rent) and the Shawano-Bonduel Municipal Court.

Q What is City Hall’s telephone and fax number?

A 715-526-6138 and the fax is 715-526-5751

Q Where do I obtain a dog or cat license?

A City residents may obtain dog and cat licenses at Shawano City Hall. Licenses are effective Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. Proof of rabies vaccination must be presented at time of issuance. An additional $5 state penalty is charged if your dog license is not obtained before April 1. Dog/cat license, for male or female, costs $10; neutered or spayed, $4. Each household, with the exception of kennels, is allowed to have no more than three dogs and three cats over five months of age.

Q Do I need a permit to have a swimming pool?

A Yes, if the swimming pool can contain more than 24 inches of water. Pools must be set back at least 5 feet from the side or rear lot lines and from any other structure. The permit fee is $40. Also, the pool must be completely enclosed by a fence of not less than 5 feet or more than 6 feet in height. Gates need to be equipped with locking devices. Fencing must be erected within five days of completion of the pool. A fence permit ($40) is required. If you have questions call Mike Miller, city building inspector, 715-526-6138.

Q How do I report a street light that is not working?

A If you notice a street light that is out or not working properly, please call Shawano Municipal Utilities at 715-526-3131.

Q Who do I contact when I have a complaint regarding uncut grass, junked vehicles or unsightly property littered with debris/rubbish?

A Call the Shawano City Police Department at 715-524-4545 or you can call an elected official (alderperson/mayor).

Q When is garbage and recycling picked up?

A The city of Shawano provides collection of refuse from residents on a weekly basis and recycling on a biweekly basis. City issued automated carts must be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. the day of collection but not before 5 p.m. preceding the normal collection day. You may call the Department of Public Works at 715-525-3512 to find out when your collection day is scheduled.

Q When is wood and brush collected?

A Beginning June 28, please call City Hall at 715-526-6138 or Public Works at 715-526-3512 and give them your address. Pick-up will occur on Fridays each week by request only. Do not place wood or brush in a container or garbage can. It must be placed directly on the curb. Residents may also bring wood waste and brush to the Shawano Landfill and Recycling Center during normal operating hours. The city will not collect any wood waste left by a contractor. All contractors hired by city residents to cut down trees, clear lots, etc. are responsible for disposing of wood waste.

Q What are the curfew rules for the city?

A No individual between the ages of 14 years through 17 years shall remain upon any street or alley or other public place in the city between 10 p.m. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday and 6 a.m. the next day, and between 12 a.m. midnight on Friday and Saturday and 6 a.m. the next day. Also, no individual under the age of 14 shall remain upon any street or alley or other public place in the city between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. the next day.

The answer to last week’s trivia question — What store located at 203 S. Main St. (1970) did Kenneth (Natalie) Fetzer own? — is Coast to Coast.

This week’s question is: What was the name of the rest home located at 131 LaFayette St. (1959) owned by Mary Mielke?

Lorna Marquardt is mayor of Shawano.